Tuesday, September 16, 2008

time for an update

Well, I got super lazy with my blogging but have kept up on my training. I had a great summer, relaxed on my diet a bit and ate and drank more then I needed to! It’s time now to dial it in my diet and training and take it to the next level. I’ve been fortunate enough to get to work some certs this summer and always come back inspired and with a new outlook on training. This past weekend I worked a cert in Calgary with some amazing crossfit trainers, I took away so much from each and every one of them. One thing I plan to incorporate into my training is something I heard from Speal at another cert and it was reminded of it again by Dutch this past weekend. Both of them are smaller males but frequently train with heavier weights then rx’d on the WOD’s. I think they are onto something as they are both not only super fast but extremely strong.

As far as diet goes, Robb Wolf has been so helpful and patient while helping me figure out how to work with the zone and allow some freedom for cheats and of course drinking! I’m still on 11 blocks but have cut out 1 carb block at each meal and added 3 blocks of fat for every carb block omitted. I really like this way of eating, I’m not as hungry and actually enjoy my meals. I’ve also cut out grains and almost all sugar; I just can’t give up that zone bar with almond butter before bed!

So quick re-cap on training the past few workouts:

Last week kicked my ass!

Monday, September 9, 2009

BW: 113# (did workout based on 110# since I don’t have 1# or 2# plates)

"Linda"
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight (165#)
Bench press: body weight (110#)
Clean: 3/4 body weight (80#)

Set up three bars and storm through for time.

Time: 42:13

Comments: This is the first time I have completed this workout as rx’d! I was so happy, as I usually have to scale the bench press. Bench press reps were pretty much singles, but oh well I finished it! This has been a goal of mine for 2.5 years!

Tuesday, September 10, 2008

"Fight Gone Bad!"

Three rounds of:
Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps) (14# ball)
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps) (55# girl weight)
Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps) (55# girl weight)
Row (Calories) (no erg sub burpees)

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute.The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.
Add your points and post them to comments.

Score: 293

Comments: Not my best score but I was waaaaaay too sore from Linda.

Post: 5k run on Treadmill: 26:12 I think. Nice slow pace

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Five rounds for max reps of:

Body weight bench press
Pull-ups
Body weight back squat

Post reps for all three exercises in all rounds.

BP: 110# 1-1-1-1-1 (still severely sore form linda on monday)
Pull-ups: 22-20-20-20-21
squats 115#: 6-6-6-6-6

pre: wux2
post: 4x25 ghd sit-ups

Comments: wow, I should have followed the main site as I was still so sore from benching BW in Linda on Monday! Oh well 3.2.1 go right?!

Thursday, September, 11, 2008

The crossfit workout today in honor of 9/11 was
Hero workout of your choice. I chose to do Josh, as I need to work on OHS.

Josh

95# Overhead squats, 21 reps (65# girl weight)
42 pull-ups
95# Overhead squats, 15 reps (65# girl weight)
30 pull-ups
95# Overhead Squats, 9 reps (65# girl weight)
18 pull-ups

Time: 11:47

Comments: OHS killed me, I really suck at these, therefore need to work on them more.

Friday, September 12, 2008

REST DAY!

Much needed rest, spent the morning traveling to Calgary for the cert. Got in and met up with some of the trainers, drove around town, had a nice Italian meal (oops I mean chicken and broccoli with a shot of olive oil) and some wine. ;-) called it a night and got some rest for day 1 of the cert.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day 1 of the cert. Lots of demo-ing. That shit looks easy but it is exhausting holding positions then coaching the groups. I was the lucky one who got to demo bottom to bottom tabata squats in the morning too! At the end of the day some trainers did a workout.

21-15-9 reps of:

65# squat clean
HSPU

Time: 7:30

Comments: cleans felt pretty smooth. Dutch was on me for my hand placement on HSPU’s apparently I am too wide for his liking. Mind you he was critiquing my HSPU as he sat there eating a burger and drinking a beer ;-) He made me get my hands right at shoulder width, I prefer slightly wider. This really slowed me down and I did most reps as singles, but I appreciate the critique always looking to improve as an athlete.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Day 2 of the cert, I am so sore. Quads are fried from tabatas and the workout, oh and lets not forget demoing. Lunchtime rolls around and Robb and I film a kipping pull-up demo, spent 30+ minutes doing pull-ups then onto the WOD with Dutch.

"The Chief"

Max rounds in 3 minutes of:

135 pound Power cleans, 3 reps (95# girl weight is 85#)
6 Push-ups
9 Squats

Rest 1 minute. Repeat for a total of 5 cycles.

Score: 18 (I think)

Comments: holy shit. Dutch made up this workout and it made the main site WOD. I have to say it was nice to see him suffer too since he created this beast. I got so close to finishing 4 rounds every time, mostly 3 squats shy of 4 rds so only get to count 3. I hit 5 rounds once I think and maybe 1 round of 4. Dutch kicked my ass with a whopping 28 rounds, oh and lets not forget the fact that he used 155 for the cleans which is BW for him. It was so awesome to workout with him, really made me push harder, that guy is an animal.
Finished up the cert and flew home. Had a great time, worked with some amazing trainers and learned that bacon makes everything better!

Monday, September 15, 2008

"Fran"

Three rounds, 21-15- and 9 reps, for time of:

95 pound Thruster
Pull-ups

Time: 8:50

Comments: knee is super tight, been sore in the quads all weekend causing knee pain. Did this WOD at 95# guy weight just to mix it up and to follow what I learned from Dutch and Speal. Happy with my time, this workout is metabolically taxing even when going heavy.

So that’s that. I’m gonna try my best to keep this thing pretty updated!

No comments: